Introduction to the polarized and non polarised sunglasses
Sunglasses have become a ubiquitous fashion accessory, but their primary purpose lies in protecting our eyes from the harmful rays of the sun, esp glare. When shopping for sunglasses, you’re often faced with the choice between polarized and non-polarized lenses. While both offer protection, there are distinct differences in how they work and the benefits they provide. In this post, I will delve into the fascinating world of polarized sunglasses, explaining how they work and why they offer significant advantages over non-polarized counterparts.
Understanding Polarized Sunglasses
To grasp the magic behind polarized sunglasses, we first need to understand the nature of light. Light waves travel in all directions, but when they bounce off a flat surface, they become horizontally polarized. This phenomenon results in glare, which can be particularly hazardous while driving, participating in water sports, or being surrounded by snow, sand, or a shiny surface. Not to mention driving on roads facing a low evening or morning sun. Glare bounces off every surface including the roa, other vehicles, buildings, windows and any other shiny object before you.
Polarized sunglasses are designed to combat this glare. The lenses of polarized sunglasses have a special chemical coating or film that blocks horizontal light waves while still allowing vertical light waves to pass through. This vertical filtering results in a reduction of glare, providing a clearer and way more comfortable vision.
Benefits of Polarized Sunglasses
- 1. Glare Reduction:
As outlined above, polarized sunglasses have this remarkable ability to reduce glare. By eliminating reflected horizontal light waves, these sunglasses enhance visual clarity and comfort in bright conditions. Whether you’re driving, fishing, or simply enjoying a sunny day at the beach, polarized lenses can significantly reduce eye strain and improve your overall visual experience.
- 2. Improved Color Perception:
Non-polarized sunglasses may darken your view, making colors appear dull and less vibrant. Conversely, polarized sunglasses preserve the true colors of your surroundings, providing a more natural and vivid visual experience. This feature is especially appreciated by outdoor enthusiasts and photographers who rely on accurate color perception. Your sunglasses should not act as a barrier between yourself and the surroundings you are enjoying being in. Non-polarised lenses tend to feel like they do.
- 3. Enhanced Visual Comfort:
Without the blinding glare, your eyes can relax and adapt to changing light conditions more easily. This enhances visual comfort, reduces eye fatigue, and may even help prevent headaches caused by intense sunlight. Who likes to sauint all the time? This can actually help reduce the developing of wrinkles around the eyes since you no longer squint to adjust your eyes to the intense glare.
- 4. Better Eye Protection:
Polarized sunglasses offer robust protection against harmful UV rays. Prolonged exposure to UV radiation can lead to serious eye conditions, such as cataracts and macular degeneration. By effectively blocking UV rays, polarized sunglasses act as a reliable shield for your eyes.
- 5. Safer Driving Experience:
Glare from wet roads or the hoods of other vehicles can be hazardous while driving. Polarized sunglasses can drastically improve road visibility by cutting out the glare, making it easier for drivers to focus on the road and avoid potential accidents.
Benefits of Non-Polarized Sunglasses
While polarized sunglasses have numerous advantages, non-polarized sunglasses also serve a purpose and can be beneficial in certain situations:
- 1. Cost-Effective Option:
Non-polarized sunglasses are generally more affordable than polarized ones. If budget is a significant concern, non-polarized sunglasses still provide essential protection against UV rays, making them a viable option for basic eye protection.
- 2. Indoor Use:
Polarized sunglasses may not be suitable for certain indoor activities, such as viewing LCD screens or GPS devices, as they can interfere with the visibility of these screens. In such cases, non-polarized sunglasses are more appropriate.
In the battle of the shades, polarized sunglasses emerge as the clear winner when it comes to reducing glare, enhancing visual clarity, and protecting our eyes from harmful UV rays. Their ability to provide a safer and more comfortable vision in bright conditions makes them a popular choice for outdoor enthusiasts and those with an active lifestyle.
However, it’s important to remember that the benefits of non-polarized sunglasses cannot be overlooked, particularly for those seeking a budget-friendly option or indoor use.
Ultimately, the choice between polarized and non-polarized sunglasses depends on your personal needs, preferences, and the specific situations in which you plan to use them. For maximum eye protection and visual comfort, investing in a quality pair of polarized sunglasses is undoubtedly a wise decision.
There are several reputable brands that offer quality polarized sunglasses. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list, as new brands may have emerged, and existing brands may have introduced new models since this writing. Here are some well-known brands that have a track record of producing high-quality polarized sunglasses:
- 1. Ray-Ban: Ray-Ban is one of the most iconic and recognized eyewear brands globally. They offer a wide range of polarized sunglasses with various styles and lens options.
(Personal note. I have opted for this brand when I got serious about quality. No more cheap stuff for me.)
- 2. Oakley: Oakley is renowned for its sports-oriented sunglasses and advanced lens technology. They offer a variety of polarized sunglasses suitable for various outdoor activities.
- 3. Maui Jim: Maui Jim is known for its high-performance polarized sunglasses, especially popular for beach and water activities. They are praised for their vibrant lens colors and excellent glare reduction.
- 4. Costa Del Mar: Costa Del Mar specializes in polarized sunglasses for fishing and water sports. Their lenses are designed to enhance contrast and improve visibility in bright outdoor conditions.
- 5. Smith Optics: Smith Optics offers a diverse range of polarized sunglasses with innovative lens technology, making them popular among outdoor enthusiasts and athletes.
- 6. Serengeti: Serengeti is known for its photochromic polarized lenses that adapt to changing light conditions, providing optimal visual comfort and clarity.
- 7. Wiley X: Wiley X is a brand focused on performance eyewear, offering polarized sunglasses with shatterproof and impact-resistant lenses, suitable for outdoor sporting activities.
- 8. Costa Rican: This brand combines fashion with eco-friendly materials and offers polarized sunglasses suitable for everyday wear.
- 9. Electric: Electric produces a variety of polarized sunglasses that cater to both style and function, making them popular among urban dwellers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- 10. Persol: Persol make these timeless stylish glasses in Italy. Persol has been around for a long time, so they know what they’re doing. They make glasses that are both classic and modern, so they never go out of style.
When shopping for polarized sunglasses, it’s essential to consider factors such as lens quality, frame durability, style preferences, and the specific activities you’ll be engaging in. Remember to look for reputable retailers or official brand stores to ensure the authenticity and quality of the sunglasses you purchase. Additionally, always check for the UV protection rating, as it is crucial for overall eye health.
Budget-friendly Brands of Polarized Sunglasses
As a matter of helpful information, I now consider several brands that offer budget-friendly polarized sunglasses without compromising too much on quality. Keep in mind that prices and availability may vary, and new brands might have emerge. Here are some brands known for providing affordable polarized sunglasses:
- 1. Sunski: Sunski offers stylish and eco-friendly polarized sunglasses at affordable prices, making them a popular choice for budget-conscious consumers.
- 2. Knockaround: Knockaround provides a wide range of polarized sunglasses with various frame and lens options, all at reasonable prices.
- 3. J+S Vision: J+S Vision offers budget-friendly polarized sunglasses with solid UV protection and functional designs.
- 4. ATTCL: ATTCL specializes in affordable polarized sunglasses with a focus on classic and trendy styles.
- 5. KastKing: KastKing offers polarized sunglasses primarily designed for fishing and outdoor activities at a budget-friendly price point.
- 6. Joopin: Joopin offers a selection of inexpensive polarized sunglasses with a variety of frame designs and lens colors.
- 7. Duduma: Duduma provides budget-friendly polarized sunglasses with lightweight and durable frames, suitable for various outdoor activities.
- 8. Merry’s: Merry’s offers affordable polarized sunglasses with different styles and lens options.
- 9. TOREGE: TOREGE offers a variety of polarized sunglasses at competitive prices, particularly suitable for sports and outdoor activities.
- 10. Flying Fisherman: Flying Fisherman offers budget-friendly polarized sunglasses primarily designed for fishing and water sports enthusiasts.
While these brands offer affordable options, it’s essential to check customer reviews and ratings to ensure that the sunglasses provide adequate UV protection and durability. Additionally, keep in mind that budget-friendly polarized sunglasses might not offer the same advanced lens technology and features as higher-end brands, but they can still be a practical and effective choice for everyday use and basic eye protection. As always, it’s essential to strike a balance between cost and quality when choosing the right pair of polarized sunglasses for your needs.